Medical Group of the Carolinas-Weight Loss Services is designated by the Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery Accreditation and Quality Improvement Program as a Center of Excellence. We work to improve the overall quality of life for patients and their families by providing the most complete medical, surgical and follow-up care possible.
Prior to a patient’s first appointment, all new patients must attend a weight loss information session. At this free session, potential patients will be given information regarding the process for making the first appointment and are given the opportunity to ask questions regarding weight loss surgery, as well as to receive information regarding their insurance requirements.
Our practice is a member of Medical Group of the Carolinas (MGC), a large multi-specialty physician group serving Upstate South Carolina and parts of North Carolina. MGC doctors are dedicated to meeting your healthcare needs, from wellness and prevention to the diagnosis and treatment of illnesses.
Surgical Weight Loss
We specialize in the care of patients undergoing weight loss surgery and are dedicated to helping individuals improve their quality of life.
- Check temperature twice daily for the first week – call if fever exceeds 101 F.
- You may shower but no swimming or tub baths until 10 days after surgery. Notify us of any redness or drainage from the incision.
- Contact us if you have vomiting or diarrhea that lasts more than 24 hours or abdominal pain that persists for more than four hours.
- Use your incentive spirometer four times a day for 10 days.
- Work your way up to at least 30 minutes of walking daily.
- Increased gas is common for the first 3-6 weeks. We recommend Gas-X®, Digel® or Mylicon drops, chews, or strips for relief.
- Do NOT take anti-inflammatory pain medication unless approved by your surgeon (e.g. ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc.)
- Take vitamin and calcium supplements daily, once you have attended post-op class.
- To avoid possible injury to an unborn child, female patients SHOULD NOT BECOME PREGNANT for at least 18 months, when the weight loss has stabilized.
Please arrive 15-20 minutes before your appointment to fill out your medical history and registration forms. You may also be provided a health assessment or questionnaire to complete in advance of your visit. To cancel an appointment, please notify us 24 hours in advance so we can make the appointment available to another patient.
What to bring with you:
- Current medications
- Medication reconciliation form, if needed
- Photo ID, insurance, Medicare or Medicaid ID card
- Co-payment, if required by your insurance provider
- Prior medical records, including documentation of any allergies, chronic conditions, treatments or surgeries
- Questions for your doctor
Current patients can schedule appointments by phone, or use the MyChart patient portal or app to see available times.
Learn More About MyChart
See Special Hours for Holidays and Inclement Weather
If you are a patient currently using MyChart, you may be able to request a refill through the app or online portal. For prescriptions not available in MyChart, please make an appointment so a physician can evaluate if the medications need to be changed. It could take up to 24-48 business hours for a refill to be submitted.
Our practices use an electronic health record system that allows for a seamless patient experience through improved communications, timeliness, patient information storage and portability. This system, called MyChart, will allow you to view medications, allergies, health issues and recent visits.
To obtain or transfer detailed medical records to another practice, please contact the Medical Records Office at 864-560-6273.
Insurance & Billing
We are participating providers for most medical insurance plans. Because there are a variety of options, please contact your insurance company or one of our patient access representatives to ensure our practice is a provider for your plan. Please remember to bring your insurance card with you.
View Insurances Accepted
We request payment for all office visits at the time of service. Co-pays are required for all insured patients. If you have questions about fees, our office or Physicians Billing Service will be glad to assist you at 864-560-4413 or 877-596-2455.